Why not start this blog with a post about islands? After all, I spent most of my adult life on islands.
Two weeks ago I was on the Zhoushan islands for business. In Shenjiamen in the Putuo district to be exact. My purpose was to visit a few shipyards, with which my company does business. I had not been in the islands for a few years, and I had forgotten how beautiful they are. Clean air, mountains (well, hills actually), sea, it’s all there. Zhoushan is one of the biggest centers of commerial fishing in China. In the past few years, more and more ship building and ship repair activities have moved from Shanghai to the islands.
There are lots of hotels, mostly busy in the weekends and on public holidays. Naturally you find the usual abundance of ‘entertainment facilities’ all around town. It makes Shanghai look like a monastery.
There are plenty of seafood restaurants, and the quality was very good from what I have seen and tasted.
What interested me are the possibilities to go fishing and hiking. And with 40 minutes flight time from Shanghai, an easy weekend destination. I will definitely be back.
I was staying in the Hai Zhong Zhou Hotel, right in the centre of town, and easy to get to with the shuttle bus from the airport. Fairly modern, and friendly service. There is one little gem which I want to share, and that’s the instruction chart about what to do in case of fire:
Escape from the fire and don’t.
1. Don’t alarmed when the fire is around you, you must be calm, know the environment, choice the escape method and route.
2. Don’t cry blindly, because the building is made from timber plastics when burning, there is a lot of prison gas, you need close your mouth and crawl.
3. Don’t hate to leave properly because your can’t waste any time for valuable things.
4. Don’t open the door and the windows, or else, lots of smoke get in, you can’t escape.
5. Don’t use the life (!), because when the is burning, the electric of the life will be out of service.
6. Don’t running blindly, you must take of the clothes, roll about or use the wet cloth to cover the fire on body.
7. Don’t make the direction wrong, escape must be from high place to low place.
8. Don’t jump down from the building, you can snap up the window, be out to keep the life.
They don’t make them like this anymore (Smile).
Anyway, all in all nice to have been out of the city for a couple of days. I am looking forward to do a bit more exploring in the islands.