12 January, 2009. Propeller shaft.
A few pictures of the propeller shaft arrangement.
The first 3 pictures show the outside. The whole shaft arrangement is slightly out of line with respect to the longitudinal axis of the boat. This enables pulling the shaft from the outside. Otherwise the rudder skeg would be in the way.
The bracket holds the Vesconite bush which supports the shaft at the propeller end. There is a similar bush on the inside where the shaft enters the stern tube. Clearly visible is the zinc anode right in front of the propeller. The 4th picture shows the mechanical shaft seal, and the flexible coupling between shaft and transmission gear.
14 December, 2008. The sail plan.
‘Waratah’ will have a so called cutter rig. It consists of one main sail, with full battens and 3 reef points for double line reefing of about 42 m2, and two head sails. One is a genoa on a Harken roller furler, the other one on the inner stay a staysail of about 19 m2. This one is also rolling furling. The total effective sail area is about 90 m2.
In the future I might look if it makes sense to add a cruising spinnaker.
14 December, 2008. Outfitting (3).
Some more pictures of the progress on ‘Waratah’. The first one is a shot of the propeller and shaft. The second two show the connection between shaft and coupling. And the last 4 show what will become the workshop. I turned one of the cabins into a workshop and storage area. After all one of the definitions of cruising is ‘fixing your boat in exotic locations’, and where would one be without a proper workshop to do the job?
13 December, 2008. Windvane steering.
The Monitor works with the servo-pendulum principle. Actually Scanmar has a very informative web site, with a section that explains the principles of self steering very clearly.
A big advantage of Scanmar is that they already have thousands of drawings for different boat types on file. With what they already had on the Dix43, and our additional information, they made a custom drawing just for ‘Waratah’.
The parts arrived in October, but will only be fitted when ‘Waratah’ is in the water, and we can establish the exact loaded water line.
The pictures below show all the parts that are needed. I have a set of longer control lines, because of the center cockpit setup, and a wheel adapter which will be fitted on my steering wheel. The Monitor comes standard with two vanes, one for normal conditions, and an extra one for light winds. I also ordered a cruising spare parts kit, for wear and tear parts.
October/November 2008. Outfitting (2).
Here some more pictures of the fitting out of ‘Waratah’. The first four show the progress made on deck, with winches, hatches, and some of the dorade vents in place.
The next pictures show how the interior of ‘Waratah’ is coming along.
The water tanks and related plumbing, and the water pressure unit and manifold.
And last but not least, the holding tanks and plumbing for the aft and forward heads. I am not really happy with that arrangement yet, and it will be changed.
September 2008. Outfitting (1)
Another overdue update on the outfitting of ‘Waratah’. The first two pictures show the inside of the hull, after application of ceramic insulating paint. This is a much better option than spraying polyurethane foam. First of all you can’t see what is happening behind the foam layer, secondly even closed cell PU foam will absorb water after some time, and last but not least, PU foam will give off really bad toxic fumes in case of fire.
Picture number 4, 5, and 6 show the water tanks in the keel, and the blue special water tank paint we are applying. Picture number 7 shows the water tanks with the covers bolted on. Every tank has a see through inspection cover. Picture number 8 shows the engine in place, which will later be enclosed by a separate compartment.
The last pictures show the arrangement of some of the hatches, dorade vents, and winch and jammer blocks.
More on the hull.
The first 3 pictures are showing the hull with studs where the zink anodes are going to be fitted. The next pictures show the cut-outs in hull and deck for hatches, vents, and through hull connections. The last picture shows the tank tops, with connections and inspection covers.
End July, 2008. Pouring of the lead ballast.
‘Waratah’ needs 4000 kg of lead ballast in the keel. It was quite difficult to get such an amount, because most of the scrap dealers around Welkom have long term delivery contracts with India and China. Well, Wynand did it, and finally the pouring of the ballast into the keel could begin. The first picture shows about 3000 kg of scrap lead.
There were some big chunks and ingots that were put in the keel first. The smaller lead was then molten on a specially rigged furnace and poured over the ingots. About 180 – 200 kg were molten at a time and then poured in. The 1 1/2 inch feed pipe of the funnel kept getting clogged, and had to be heated with a cutting torch to get the lead going. On the last picture ‘Waratah’ seems to be on fire, with all the smoke coming out of the hatch openings.